Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Yard Fallout! - 01 May 2012

Last evening's rains were supposed to suppress any real migration of birds northward.  Such was not the case.  Today would turn out to be a great day of birding for many!  Allen Chartier reported 17 spp. of warblers at Belle Isle.  A Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was found at Lower Huron Metropark in Wayne Co.. Magee Marsh in Ohio reported a Black-throated Gray Warbler.  And I was stuck at work.  But all was not lost.

This morning while taking out the trash I heard the 'Tseet' call of numerous White-throated Sparrows coming from across the street, and next door.  Off in the distance I even heard the diagnostic "Oh-Sam-Pibbity-Pibbity-Pibbity".  But it was dark, so I didn't bother looking for any birds.  I estimated six or so birds total.  Just in case, though, I threw out a couple scoops of sunflower seeds on the freshly-tilled back yard.

I came home from lunch to wait for a contractor call, and immediately heard the White-throated Sparrows again.  I ran to the back window to look for the birds, and found not one, not two, but 12 White-throated Sparrows milling in the yard.  My highest count for the yard for this bird was never more than two birds. So I grabbed the scope and decided to try my hand at digiscoping through the back window.  I spent the next half-hour digiscoping w/ the Nikon V1 at 10fps trying to capture some keepers (in low light) while Asia clawed at my pant-legs wanting to go outside.  Sorry sweetie, not today...

Along w/ these birds were a pair of White-crowned Sparrows that were also singing their "Seer-seer-tsi-tswee-tswee-tswee" call.

Not to be outdone, but a single Hermit Thrush then made an appearance.

House Sparrows were nowhere to be seen today.  Ma and Pa Cardinal made an appearance, as the babies were squealing from their nest next to the driveway.  And a pair of Common Grackles flew in long enough to drive away a squirrel and forage for some sunflower seeds, themselves.

A nice consolation to a day of missed potentials.

No comments: